1/14/2012

In fact, I am a pretty boring guy



The reclusive nature of JD Salinger, whose famous work of the 1950’s, Catcher in the Rye, has grown in stature as its author’s reputation has become more and more mired in the weird. Salinger, who died in 2011 of natural causes at age 91, published his last work in 1955 and gave his last interview in 1980. Yet, for a half century, Salinger’s repulsion of publicity boomeranged  in time to create a mystic type of national interest in his hermit like nature that overshadowed his huge talent as a writer - oddness trumping merit - proof once again that in America we not only find enigmatic behavior to be worthy of interest, but a character trait we embrace.

With those thoughts in mind, who would care about my personal background? Still I have had several e-mails asking why I have not included biographical information on this site. I could say that it was a calculated attempt by me to through a lack of hard facts create interest shrouded in exotic mysterious rumor. But the truth is I just hadn’t thought about it. In reality, I am pretty boring.
I have been married for 28 years to my wife Lisa. I have two children, 26 year old son Andrew (wife, Amanda) and 23 year old daughter Caitlin. I spent 27 years in public education that I am proud of. I was employed as a classroom teacher, a building principal and a coach. Along the way my teams won 14 district championships, finished in the top four at state contests five times and won a state championship. I spent five years coaching in college and won a couple of conference championships. I am most thankful for the lifelong friendships I have developed through the years with colleagues and students. It has been a lot of fun.

I now live in St. Louis, MO, where I grew up and returned to five years ago after a 30 year exile, with my wife and two dogs. I stay busy running basketball camps and doing motivational speaking.  As I said, I am a pretty boring guy, but thanks for asking.

No comments:

Search This Blog