For the last 30+ years that I’ve been living this Christian life there is one particular scripture that has stood out to me and that is when Jesus is driving home the point that just loving your own is ordinary and not extraordinary.
Yesterday I received my signed copy of Ball Of Confusion written by my man Dave Almany. He is a prime example of diversity in action and what I love about my hometown of Festus/Crystal City.
Excuse the vernacular, but a white man writing about segregation, racism, Jim Crow Laws, Motown, the St. Louis Public School system, white supremacy, how to come together and many cultural related issues correlated to the 1972 Missouri State Basketball Large School final four of 2 black schools and 2 white schools (Raytown v. KC Central and Kirkwood v. Northwest of the SPL) is AWESOME!!!
As I commented to him, I like how he doesn’t even give the greatest athlete of our time - Michael Jordan a pass when it comes to taking a stand against racism.
I must admit, I’ve only made it to chapter 3 and dying to read the conclusion of the matter. But, a testament to Dave’s story telling skill I don’t want to miss everything in between!
Dewhitt Lloyd Bingham
Bloomington, IL

No comments:
Post a Comment